One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A band, especially a military one, consisting of bagpipe players, drummers, and a pipe major.
- ‘As I'm sure you're all aware, SFU's pipe band is the best pipe band in the world.’
- ‘The ceremony concluded with the playing of the ‘Last Post’ and ‘Reveille’ by the pipe band of the 28th Battalion.’
- ‘It was a quite eerie feeling as a pipe band went down a ramp into the hole.’
- ‘And yes, it's true that I've taken to wearing earplugs during the pipe band's practice sessions.’
- ‘He was also ‘a valued member’ of the regimental pipe band, according to the British Ministry of Defence.’
- ‘But you also have a memorable street party, with a pipe band thrown in.’
- ‘The colourful pipe band and the brass band put up an impressive show too.’
- ‘They marched around the school to the imitated beat of a pipe band.’
- ‘The Montrose club's traditional ways have already been criticised by the pipe major of a local pipe band.’
- ‘Student and member of the SFU pipe band, Andrew Douglas, agrees that the pipe band is underrepresented on campus.’
- ‘Parade will be led by the pipe band and school band.’
- ‘Behind them was a 25-piece pipe band, drummers, and a horse-drawn carriage topped with white flowers bearing the coffin.’
- ‘He was also a valued member of the regimental pipe band.’
- ‘Before the formalities started, the Sligo pipe band gave an excellent performance.’
- ‘The 8th battalion of the Madras Regiment even sent its pipe band, complete with headgear, bagpipes and tartans.’
- ‘The Bagpipe-players from the Hawthorn pipe band belted out the theme song and trains stopped behind the railway wing to toot their congratulations.’
- ‘‘It's better than a traditional pipe band,’ reckons MacKenzie.’
- ‘Could any readers tell me the title of a lament played by a massed pipe band at the Queen Mother's funeral?’
- ‘So we got a plaque, a stone plinth, a brass band, a pipe band and a day for the town to remember.’
- ‘There were only about 100 people playing in the pipe band, but I swear 350 came in!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.