One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A deception intended to benefit those deceived, especially to strengthen religious belief.
- ‘It is the social duty of the few to fabricate and defend these noble lies and pious frauds for the well-being of society.’
- ‘Liberty of thinking, and of expressing our thoughts, is always fatal to priestly power, and to those pious frauds, on which it is commonly founded.’
- ‘Some of these pious frauds go so far as to claim that evolution is false and not scientific.’
- ‘The staff's reaction made me suspicious in turn, since I have more than once found a wary attitude masking pious fraud.’
- ‘Of these, some may have been the effect of imagination applied to natural markings in rock, while others may have been pious frauds.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.