Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A meson having a mass approximately 270 times that of an electron.Also called pi-meson
- ‘A neutral pion consists of a down quark and a down antiquark.’
- ‘The proton and the neutron are baryons; the electron, the muon, and the neutrino are leptons; whilst the pions are mesons.’
- ‘Kaons and pions are examples of particles known as mesons, which contain a quark and an antiquark.’
- ‘He worked primarily on the interaction of pions with protons.’
- ‘In turn, these decay into other subatomic particles, like kaons and pions.’
1950s: from pi (the letter used as a symbol for the particle) + -on.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.