Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A medium-sized speckled variety of kidney bean.
- ‘I would like a steak burrito, no rice, pinto beans with sour cream and cheese, and a small coke.’
- ‘Rita snapped around when she heard shuffling in the pinto beans.’
- ‘By 1981 the total irrigated acreage had increased to 40,000 acres, and crop diversification had added alfalfa, pinto beans, corn, and milo.’
- ‘They process corn, popcorn, soybeans, and wheat, as well as amaranth, millet and dry edible beans such as navy beans, black turtle beans, pinto beans and great northern beans.’
- ‘Legumes such as lentils, black-eyed peas, soybeans, chickpeas, kidney beans, navy beans, pinto beans and black beans are lowfat, filling and loaded with fiber, protein and carbs.’
- ‘Among your best bets are legumes such as chickpeas, pinto beans and lentils, which offer 5-7 fiber grams per half-cup serving.’
- ‘Foods that are high in fiber include black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans and many vegetables, such as broccoli and peas.’
- ‘I went to make penne in vodka tomato sauce the other night and all I had was 1/2 box of whole wheat penne and a can of pinto beans.’
- ‘No matter where your tastes take you, serve the tostada with pinto beans and Mexican rice for a satisfying weeknight fiesta.’
- ‘In a published report, he concluded that ‘manure that contains either [antibiotic] should not be applied to sandy loam soil just before pinto beans, and possibly other seed legumes, are planted.’’
- ‘There are pinto beans spiked with meaty bacon that just want a lick of salt.’
- ‘Kidney and pinto beans have 4-6 grams of fiber per half-cup.’
- ‘They served enchiladas, pinto beans, tossed salad, and fruit gelatin.’
- ‘Some varieties, such as black and pinto beans, need only to be left on the plant until they've dried, usually when the plant has died.’
- ‘Most entrées include a clay pot of aromatic, beer-marinated pinto beans laced with jalapeños, a decent scoop of tomato-touched white rice and shredded lettuce topped with pico de gallo.’
- ‘To make sure you're getting enough, eat two to three daily servings of lean protein, like chicken, fish, lentils, and kidney, navy, cannellini, and pinto beans.’
- ‘We were handed a bowl containing a square of white-corn cornbread soaking up the bacon-flavored pinto bean broth along with a cup of sweet, fresh buttermilk.’
- ‘Soy and pinto beans, walnuts, and flaxseed are good sources of PUFAs, as are vegetables such as leeks and purslane.’
- ‘She dines on such delicacies as turkey a la king and ‘down home’ ham and pinto beans.’
- ‘They found that red beans ranked number one, followed by wild blueberries, red kidney beans, pinto beans, and cultivated blueberries.’
Early 20th century: pinto from pinto, because of the mottled seed of this variety of bean.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.