Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A mainly migratory duck with a pointed tail.
- ‘At certain times there can be a million birds in front of you consisting of sandhill cranes, snow geese, cackling geese, white-fronted geese, pintails, wigeons and mallards.’
- ‘This group of duck species includes mallards, teal, pintails, and others that feed at or near the surface, where viruses in water are most likely to be picked up.’
- ‘As a result, foraging conditions that female Mallard and pintail encounter during spring migration influence the amount of lipid stored and, thus, reproductive success.’
- ‘Nestled in the hills of California's San Joaquin Valley, a tranquil pond invites flocks of ruddy ducks, pintails, and shovelers to feed at its shores.’
- ‘Its skies were often darkened by blizzards of snow geese and immense flocks of great blue herons, swans, diving ducks, terns, pintails, mallards, Canada geese, osprey, bald eagles and more.’
- 1.1informal Any of a number of other birds with long pointed tails, especially (in the US) a grouse.
- ‘Last year he counted 5,500 teal, 1,200 pintail and 2,000 widgeon among a duck population that has soared in numbers.’
- ‘The 2.56 million pintails could be used to justify allowing harvest of the birds over the whole duck season instead of just 39 days.’
- ‘As long as water existed nearby for resting, birds like Canada geese, widgeon, and pintails often thrived in the irrigated countryside.’
- ‘This helps to explain why pintails, mallards, and other ducks landed on farms and infuriated farmers in the Klamath Basin during the summer of 1946.’
- ‘One of the most widely distributed ducks in the world, the pintail is a medium-sized duck with slender, elegant body lines.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.