Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ingestion of liquid into a cell by the budding of small vesicles from the cell membrane.
- ‘Fluid phase pinocytosis may be the main mechanism of uptake of hydrophilic TP.’
- ‘An extensive literature search failed to uncover specific documentation of PI uptake by pinocytosis.’
- ‘Cells use pinocytosis to take up TCII hydroxocobalamin.’
- ‘However, small areas of low emission could be found in the cytoplasm, showing that the compound was taken up by the cells, probably by pinocytosis.’
- ‘It is possible that the chemical can gain entry into cells as small, colloidal particles via phagocytosis or pinocytosis and may also enter dead, dying or damaged cells.’
Late 19th century: from Greek pino ‘drink’ + -cytosis on the pattern of phagocytosis.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.