Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] A North American card game for two or more players using a 48-card pack consisting of two of each card from nine to ace, the object being to score points for various combinations and to win tricks.
- ‘He loved politics, pinochle, and horses, my mother used to say, plus his family.’
- ‘Even if his relationship with Bryant is repaired, even if they play pinochle and go bowling together on their off-nights, the Lakers simply are not good enough to compete for a championship.’
- ‘It would open up a can of worms to make the previous strike talks look like pinochle.’
- ‘The two sisters played pinochle, drank coffee, ate junk food, and lived in their housecoats.’
- ‘I believe that anyone who plays sports in any realm, whether you're playing soccer, football, basketball, pinochle or bridge, if you're going to go do it, you go to win.’
- ‘We play pinochle and talk about what's going on in the world.’
- ‘The men played loud games of cutthroat euchre or pinochle under the trees while the women luxuriated by doing nothing.’
- ‘Points are counted as in normal pinochle to determine if the bidder ‘made’ his bid (one point for each ace, ten and king; one for the last trick: total 25).’
- ‘Lisa taught Joscelyn, Alex, and Lydia to play pinochle and poker (for bobby pins or leaves).’
- ‘On the platform was a small table, and the rabbi, the president, the shames and a trosti were sitting there playing a noisy, heated game of pinochle.’
- ‘I strayed instead into the less elegant world of pinochle, an addiction that almost caused me to flunk out of college.’
- ‘So I got good at them all - bridge, checkers, pinochle, you name it.’
- ‘Many books give a lower score of 45 for triple pinochle but a higher score of 300 for quadruple pinochle.’
- ‘To the pedestrians passing by, it looks as if we're playing pinochle.’
- ‘Retiring on a diet of golf and pinochle may be relaxing, but the body, mind and soul crave more.’
- ‘Free Canasis.com is an online pinochle site that offers the most variations of pinochle including both single deck and double deck styles, both the old and new rules.’
- ‘In summary, no longer does leisure-time enjoyment for the older crowd end with the final hand of pinochle or the last bingo card.’
- 1.1The combination of queen of spades and jack of diamonds in the game of pinochle.
- ‘A double combination is one that contains two copies of each card and a double pinochle is two spade queens and two diamond jacks.’
- ‘Pinochle is the combination of a Jack of Diamonds and a Queen of Spades, from which the game gets its name.’
Mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.