One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A carnivorous aquatic mammal of the order "Pinnipedia" , such as a seal or walrus.
- ‘Porpoising is a behavioral strategy used by small cetaceans and pinnipeds moving at high speed near the water surface.’
- ‘This sensitivity could provide a means to track a dead whale's scent from miles away or find a pinniped rookery or haul-out site from their excrement droppings carried by the oceans currents.’
- ‘Killer whales also prey on mammals such as other cetaceans and pinnipeds, as well as on birds and large fish.’
- ‘Many arctic pinnipeds migrate with the movement of food, but also with the seasonal movement of the ice pack.’
- ‘Results of seasonality studies of ringed seal canines, in addition to pinniped ratios, show the importance of the floe-edge habitat to Nugumiut residents in outer Frobisher Bay.’
Relating to or denoting pinnipeds.
- ‘The living pinniped carnivores tend toward homodonty in the postcanine dentition and lack functional tooth replacement altogether.’
- ‘We tested 42 microsatellite loci isolated from five pinniped species in a sample of 52 pups.’
- ‘Dr. Ronald Schusterman and his crew of students and researchers are investigating the comparative abilities of three pinniped species, including the California sea lion.’
- ‘A healthy avoidance of pinniped colonies is another way to minimize human fatalities.’
- ‘They look like seals, but sea lions actually belong to a different pinniped family.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.