Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
foolish, stupid, unintelligent, idiotic, brainless, mindless, witless, imbecilic, imbecile, doltishView synonyms
- ‘Scooter could be a pinheaded figure doing yoga, but could also be offering up a large round rump.’
- ‘The last picture, a deadpan rear view of a pinheaded clown with large, circular ears, looks convincingly like a collaboration between Philip and Don.’
- ‘As the endlessly sweet but slightly pinheaded stewardess-to-be Donna, She is yum-yum-yummy in a procession of miniskirts, bikinis, halter tops and other wardrobe choices that make the most of her lithe legginess.’
- ‘There's something wistfully pinheaded about deliberative democracy - it sounds a lot like law school.’
- ‘I'm a pinheaded businessperson so I'm waiting for the PowerPoint slides.’
- ‘He was, to be sure, was a loose cannon given to pinheaded statements urging laity to not go to Mass.’
- ‘As one particularly pinheaded TV critic put it, ‘Because of his primary contribution to the medium, he is likely to only be mourned by his family and colleagues.’’
- ‘I thought better of it, until I saw him on the monitor re-hashing the show nearly two years after the fact with the show's trio of pinheaded yobos.’
- ‘New York night life in all its true, hilarious, horrific, poignant and pinheaded glory.’
- ‘How the hell did you get into Hillsdale with this kind of pinheaded thinking?’
- ‘Yes, ‘uh’, you pinheaded embodiment of the word ‘carelessness’.’
- ‘There was no way of knowing whether the pinheaded agent had managed to get anything worthwhile.’
- ‘In one of these scenes, the portrait of the emperor has been recarved rather awkwardly to represent his successor Nerva, resulting in a somewhat disproportionate pinheaded effect.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.