Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The round head of a pin.
- ‘The same printer that publishes Bible verses on pinheads prints the radio frequencies on sectional charts.’
- 1.1 A very small round object or mark:[as modifier] ‘pinhead dots’
- ‘A grey-blue, very hard metal, it's the key element called a pinhead capacitor.’
- ‘But instead of buckyballs, they spice the mixture with nano-size semiconducting wires or pinheads called quantum dots.’
- ‘As Jocelyn impressed her opponents with fury, a subtle speck of light the size of a pinhead formed in the center of the room.’
- ‘Ticks begin their life cycle as tiny black creatures not much bigger than a pinhead that can attach themselves to warm-blooded creatures that brush against the heather or bracken in which they live.’
- ‘They go from pinhead size to the size of adult beetles in about two weeks.’
- ‘Synonymous with tench feeding are bubbles, what has been referred to as needle bubbles, which describes the tiny streams of pinhead bubbles perfectly.’
- ‘In a metallic pot, this plant is a Seventies survivor; glowing yellow pinheads of flower appear in July on invisible stalks like fibre optics sprouting from a frothy mound of silver foliage.’
- ‘A rash of pink-red spots the size of pinheads usually appears shortly after the glands swell.’
- ‘He said that tiny cameras the size of pinheads were also often attached to cash machines, often hidden among badges and stickers on the machine.’
- ‘Within the confines of any ‘feeding area’ there will be one extremely localised, pinhead spot that produces more takes than outside it.’
- ‘Within two weeks the dots grew to the size of pinheads, and stayed that way for months.’
- ‘He uses plastic garlands suspended in the lagoon to provide an anchorage for the drifting pinhead size larvae.’
- ‘Martinez tried to imagine the smaller than a pinhead probe shooting across the vast distance of the Dry-dock area towards the Banting.’
2informal A stupid or foolish person.
idiot, ass, halfwit, nincompoop, blockhead, buffoon, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, imbecile, dullard, moron, simpleton, clodView synonyms
- ‘Fresh new pinheads in tuxes and cocktail dresses to look at in the society pages!’
- ‘But this is what passes for an attempt at thinking among these pinheads.’
- ‘The cell phone was never envisioned as an instrument of torture that garrulous pinheads could use to inflict pain on their fellow commuters, yet this is what it has become.’
- ‘All they saw was the hero O'Reilly standing to up to the overeducated, anti-religious, arrogant pinhead scientist.’
- ‘I am one of those sad little pinheads who think it's really one war, one foe, with a thousand fronts.’
- ‘A kind, loving, and caring man (as opposed to a pinhead playboy) is going to fall for your total being and not your dress size.’
- ‘So a cross-eyed, buck-toothed pinhead look was the appearance that got you where you needed to be.’
- ‘Despite presumptuous pinheads who think they have her character pegged down to a sexy little stereotype, it's her voice that draws attention.’
- ‘That's something that you and your stupid newspaper would never do, you pinhead.’
- ‘The only question about these two pinhead thieves is whether they were complete morons before or because of using drugs.’
- ‘The new park benches rock, literally; they slide back and forth, and the illiterate pinheads haven't tagged them yet.’
- ‘The film is currently banned by the sort of pinheads who think Huck Finn is a racist book and who get offended when people say ‘niggardly’.’
- ‘While I want this article to dispel the common stereotype that fanfiction is written by pinhead fangirls desperate to see their favourite characters get it on, it must be admitted that such beings exist in herds.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.