One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Arid, sandy country characteristic of the southwest Kimberley region of Western Australia.‘the savanna is surrounded by an extensive stretch of pindan’
- ‘Its position, straddling the arid areas to the south and the monsoonal tropics to the north, has resulted in the development of the pindan soils and the unique vegetation that mantles them.’
- ‘Back in Melbourne, far from the spinifex and pindan, I look over my poem.’
- ‘With its combination of literally turquoise waters, creamy white beaches and red pindan cliffs this is the perfect place to relax after a long drive.’
- ‘The wind force is recorded as causing the "pindan country" to turn brown.’
- ‘He is on record as saying, of the pindan bush where I go hunting and bushwalking and rejoicing in the abundance of nature every weekend, 'It's literally dead.'’
Late 19th century: from Bardi (an Aboriginal language) bindan ‘the bush’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.