One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A player who substitutes for a teammate as a base runner, typically at a critical point in the game.‘he came in as a pinch runner after Turner strained his left hamstring’
- ‘Him and Davis need to be used primarily as pinch runners.’
- ‘Adjustments like pinch runners or last-minute changes in batting order are allowed to help keep injury rates low.’
- ‘However, later events suggest that even a pinch runner would have had some value.’
- ‘Five of those six appearances were as a pinch-runner and one as a defensive replacement.’
- ‘His meager bat means he will probably just be a pinch runner in 2014.’
- ‘His pinch-runner doesn't score, and the Yanks lose the game and the series.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.