One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A board covered with cork and fixed to a wall so that messages and pictures can be pinned on to it for display.
- ‘A pinboard on the wall of his grandparents' kitchen proudly displays his drawings of army vehicles and a US flag.’
- ‘We also make pinboards, laundry bags and screens.’
- ‘I posted a couple of days ago that Amy thought my room was too masculine, and had attempted to feminise it by pinning a coloured bag to my pinboard.’
- ‘It's back, therefore, to doing some odd jobs such as emailing people, tidying my pinboard and creating the bibliography for my thesis.’
- ‘I was struck by the similarity of displays on many of their office pinboards.’
- ‘The kitchen now has a smoke blanket, the study has a pinboard, clock and smoke alarm, and the window handle in the bathroom is no longer falling out of the frame.’
- ‘The Breightmet primary school has been undergoing a revamp and when the caretaker took down a pinboard from a wall he discovered the signatures of the men who built the school back in 1951.’
- ‘They curl away from the drawing pins on the pinboard.’
- ‘Another colleague kept a list on her pinboard which read: ‘Learn Spanish.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.