One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lager beer with a strong hop flavour, originally brewed at Pilsen (Plzeň) in the Czech Republic.
- ‘After all, we are in wine country and Bohemia is home to the original Budweiser and Pilsner beers.’
- ‘Get up for lunch and a beer, Emerson's organic Pilsner, with sandwiches made from freshly baked white bread and straight-from-the-garden lettuce, radishes and tomatoes.’
- ‘Holsten brews two examples of bocks: a Festbock (seven per cent), which is darker, and the Maibock (seven per cent), which is more the colour of the classic Pilsner.’
- ‘The Pilsner is great in the summer and if you're still thirsty, how about an Emerson's Bookbinder or Limburg's Hopsmacker?’
- ‘These come in variety of shapes such as Weiss, Pilsner / Lager, Kriek, Alt, Ale and Abbey.’
- ‘Pilsener Urquell - ‘Pilsener’ (or ‘Pilsner’) is perhaps the most abused term in the beer world.’
- ‘In addition to its own brewed beers, the Porterhouse says it also stocks the widest selection of beers in the country, including Pilsner lagers from Bohemia, wheat beers from Bavaria and Trappist monks' brews from Belgium.’
- ‘It was dumplings, cabbage, pork, bohemian garlic soup, and of course, Pilsner beer.’
- ‘I asked Clive, after he related Clarissa's cutting tale over al fresco Pilsner at a riverside pub.’
- ‘Probably the most widely known in America, Pilsner is a light low fermentation beer with a taste ranging from neutral to bitter.’
- ‘Magnificent gothic cathedrals and baroque palaces vie for your attention, and when you need to take a break from seeing the sights, art nouveau cafes compete with modern espresso bars and many pubs selling the famous local Pilsner beer.’
- ‘Just as a Pilsener beer comes from Pilsen and a Frankfurter sausage from Frankfurt, a Budweiser beer comes from the Czech town of Ceske Budejovice, known as Budweis when the country was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.’
- ‘Place two scoops of ice cream into a Pilsner glass.’
- ‘He was a legendary character owing to his brilliant and witty articles, his immense capacity for downing steins of Pilsner and his discursive conversation.’
- ‘Like many great European cities, Stockholm has a vibrant café culture where the residents indulge their love of cold Pilsner and pickled herrings.’
- ‘Most of the world's best-known beers - Budweiser, Heineken, Corona, Pilsner Urquell, Stella Artois, Beck's - are lager beers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.