One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in the past) an ascetic who lived on top of a pillar.
abstainer, recluse, hermit, solitary, anchorite, anchoress, desert saint, celibate, puritan, nun, monkView synonyms
- ‘The starting points were all the mad men in the sun, those desert fathers and pillarists, the strange, demented visionaries who were laughed at.’
- ‘One might have supposed that the column and colossus of St. Carlo Borromeo had been suggested by these Pillarists.’
- ‘Here dwelt the Pillarists as in the Monastery of St. Simeon Stylites.’
- ‘There were the pillarists, like Simeon Stylites, who displayed his asceticism, his privations and penitences high above the market place for all eyes to see.’
- ‘It delights and illuminates like the words of a pillarist hermit depositing wisdom from a secluded scenic mountaintop.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.