One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Indian cooking) rice cooked in stock with spices, eaten as an accompaniment to a meat or vegetable dish.
- ‘Nevertheless, the organisation insists, an average portion of cod and chips contains less than half the fat and significantly fewer calories than a serving of chicken tikka masala and pilau rice or a sweet and sour pork with egg fried rice.’
- ‘Witty conversation and revelry were the order of the night as delirious hacks worked their way through an enormous quantity of pilau rice and Kingfisher lager.’
- ‘Her starter was two light, succulent onion bhaji with Vegetable Kori with dinky little metal dishes of lentils and chickpeas with pilau rice and a huge naan bread.’
- ‘The pilau rice had its own distinctive taste, which only added to my enjoyment.’
- ‘Liz ordered a portion of egg pilau rice and a garlic naan to go with it and they made a fine accompaniment.’
- ‘Similarly, my chicken tikka balti was tender and sizzling, the balti sauce sharp and tangy rather than a bland, lardy stew as is often the case, and the vegetable pilau rice we both had was full of tasty veg.’
- ‘Many main courses on the menu come with pilau rice or naan breads, but do ask for an alternative if you prefer (I chose plain boiled rice instead).’
- ‘No Razmataz meal would be complete without traditionally spiced pilau rice and steaming freshly baked naan bread to dip into the delicious sauces and to sop up every last morsel.’
- ‘It will lie lifeless on my plate, ceremoniously on a bed of pilau rice, and I will eat it with no remorse whilst watching television.’
- ‘We shared a pilau rice, and Antonia's Chicken Tikka and Brinjal Bhaji - aubergine - were the best she'd ever tasted.’
- ‘It was perfect to dip naan bread in, and the pilau rice was wolfed down by Matt who seemed to enthuse about how special the chef's special was with every mouthful.’
- ‘He went for special vegetable thali from the specialities menu, which consisted of a vegetable curry, mushroom bhaji, tarka dahl (a lentil dish) and vegetable pilau rice.’
- ‘Served with pilau rice and nan bread, his favourite dish rates as a medium-hot meal.’
- ‘On special occasions, pilau rice is served with meat, carrots, raisin, pistachios, or peas.’
- ‘A lamb passanda with pilau rice packed more calories than a Burger King Double Whopper with cheese, we were told.’
- ‘Trading standards say kormas should be brown, not brightly coloured and advise consumers to opt for boiled rather than pilau rice.’
- ‘The biryani, cooked with pilau rice and served with a vegetable curry, was a little hotter than you would expect from a usually mild dish, but that extra spice solicited no complaints.’
- ‘The Masala was the milder of the two dishes and served in a sidebowl with a mould of pilau rice on the plate.’
- ‘After expressing their support for the president, they sit cross-legged under a specially erected marquee to feast on vats of pilau rice and chickpeas and mutton.’
- ‘The price of the meals was just under £6 and consisted of one chicken korma, one chicken tikka, two naan breads, two onion bhajis and two generous servings of pilau rice.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.