One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for pilau
- ‘After a trip to the soup and salad bar for crisp veggies and a savory bisque, you might lunch on two-bean chili with cornbread, then enjoy apricot-honey chicken or tofu with rice pilaf for dinner.’
- ‘I'd serve this with some fragrant rice - a pilaf or something, jazzed up maybe with some orange peel, cloves, star anise, or a cardamom pod - but remember to take them out before you dish it up.’
- ‘Swap instant brown rice or whole-grain couscous for white rice in pilafs and stuffings.’
- ‘Slow-cooked grain and rice pilafs, unctuously oily stuffed vegetables, melting stews of meat, vegetable and grain are their stock-in-trade.’
- ‘Who knew that while I was eating instant noodles and iceberg salads, other humans regularly dined on grainy pilafs, grilled vegetables and herb-crusted fish?’
- ‘Add cilantro to cooked dishes, such as rice pilafs or beans, at the last minute, to preserve its color and flavor.’
- ‘Toss fresh or dried berries into savory dishes such as salsas, salads, pilafs and couscous.’
- ‘Ordered as a full meal, it came with a rice pilaf made with mushrooms, bulging raisins, onions and cauliflower.’
- ‘Rice pilaf, which sometimes contains currants and pine nuts, is served as a side dish.’
- ‘Garam masala is mostly used with meat; to a lesser extent in poultry and rice dishes, such as pilafs and birianis; and only rarely in fish or vegetable dishes, for which its aroma is considered too strong.’
- ‘Our meat fondue came with our choice of side dish, Caesar salad, rice pilaf and a baguette.’
- ‘The pilaf was prepared with boiled potatoes, which surprisingly adds lightness to the dish.’
- ‘You can use the leaves with tomatoes, beans, carrots, potatoes, pilafs, pasta salads, baked chicken, roast lamb, grilled meats - even fish and other seafood.’
- ‘The rice pilaf and many-hued grilled vegetables that come with it may not have the wow factor, but they are fresh, wholesome and nicely done.’
- ‘A typical noon meal consists of vegetable and meat stew with a side dish of rice or bulgar pilaf and salad, with fruit for desert.’
- ‘Enjoy salads, stuffings and pilafs made with half white rice and half brown rice.’
- ‘What I usually do is cook wild rice separately, then add the cooked product to pilaffs, soups or stews.’
- ‘Rice pilaf flavoured with whole spices completes the meal.’
- ‘After that came a delicately tender chicken dish, blackened with cumin and tarragon, and a moist, crisp-skinned slab of duck confit, served with whole prawns over a mound of paella-style rice pilaf.’
Early 19th century: Turkish pilâv from Persian pilāv (see pilau).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.