Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
complete mess, pigstyView synonyms
- ‘Mr Watkins also showed off a number of pigpens that contain baby and adult pigs, which he said are reared, de-wormed and castrated by inmates.’
- ‘The sanitary issues of raising more than 50 Labradors in a pigpen apparently didn't set off any alarms, because with demand so high, all the puppies were sold even before they were born.’
- ‘It all happened during lunchtime in the usually crowded pigpen of a canteen.’
- ‘Students will sit on the benches arranged in a semi-circle around the pigpen in order to visit the smartest animal on the farm the pig!’
- ‘Tables are jumbled together pigpen style, turning eavesdropping into a kind of spectator event.’
- ‘It is a charming collection of beautiful and practical ideas to answer structural needs that are still necessary: pigpens, tool houses, as well as a host of barns designed according to the whim of the owner and the lay of the land.’
- ‘There's a horse in the pigpen, the pigs are in the chicken coop, and the hens are in the doghouse.’
- ‘Other factory farms scrape up manure from chicken houses and pigpens, adding it directly to chicken feed.’
- ‘Before, she had been just as willing as Ashira was to go into the muddy pigpen or the dirty stables or the smelly, slimy swamp.’
- ‘The farm work included cleaning out pigpens and he soon became known as the ‘Hogman.’’
- ‘Mitch emphasized each their, adding his own secret meaning while the shots devoured this pigpen melee of design.’
- ‘They did not use compost, but they often placed their garden near the pigpen, chicken yard, or rabbit hutches so that these animals could convert less palatable garden produce into manure.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.