One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A farm where pigs are bred or kept.
- ‘The court heard that at the piggery, farmers regularly drew off slurry to spread on their lands.’
- ‘I lived on a farm for 7 years, and worked in a piggery part time for two years.’
- ‘For example, a small piggery on flat land next to a wetland could have a much more significant environmental effect than a large extension to an existing coal mine.’
- ‘Its annoyance results in the reduction of milk and or meat production in dairy, poultry and piggery farms.’
- ‘This site used to be a piggery 20 years ago and it already had buildings on it when we moved here, so how can it be Green Belt?’
- ‘As to the farm it was a small acreage with a few rows of growing vegetables, centered with a chicken coop of a few laying chickens, a barn with couple of milking cows and a piggery populated by a large brood of grunting pigs.’
- ‘The other districts have hammer mills, piggeries, oil extracting machines and vegetable gardens and are also involved in other agricultural projects.’
- ‘In order to realise the dream of food security, the centre will run a banana plantation, a piggery and chicken run to feed the orphans.’
- ‘To use up surplus whey he erected a piggery that produced pigs good enough to fetch top market dollar.’
- ‘Mr Nielsen, who runs a piggery and asparagus farm, claimed he had been unable to harvest 30 per cent of his asparagus, worth $1 million, due to a shortage of pickers.’
- ‘Officially, the number of piggeries rose from 4 in 1940 to 87 in 1945.’
- ‘Yet according to official statistics, these small piggeries account for 30 per cent of all the pig farms in Shanghai.’
- ‘Once Crowe Farm had been a thriving piggery but the buildings had become derelict.’
- ‘That said, of course the other area of factory farming is intensive piggeries, and broiler farms.’
- ‘I converted the piggery into a workshop for the restoration of antique furniture and that business prospered for 22 years but that is another story!’
- ‘The claimant gave uncontested evidence about the agricultural use of the defendant's premises, which include what was formerly a piggery and about 25 acres of grassland.’
- ‘More recently the stable block was used to house race horses and a piggery.’
- ‘All the piggeries empty their waste into the ponds where shrimp and grass-carp are raised for the table.’
- ‘Measures will include shifting the piggeries to avoid the possibility of more serious problems with run-off in the future.’
- ‘It will also grow and package mushrooms and sweet beet, mostly to be used as fodder in its piggery.’
- 1.1 A pigsty.
2mass noun Behaviour regarded as characteristic of pigs in greed or unpleasantness.‘the piggery of a midnight supper’
- ‘Good news on the pedometer - I should probably keep using mine, since I keep lapsing into moments of utter piggery.’
- ‘You're oblivious to the piggery of it.’
- ‘The club secretary remained calm in the face of this assault on male chauvinist piggery.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.