Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Piezoelectric.‘piezo pickup systems’
- ‘The phase of drive signals supplied to one pair of the transistors is varied with respect to the phase of drive signals supplied to the other pair, thereby varying duty cycle and average voltage of the piezo transformer primary inputs.’
- ‘A simple spherical flask, a couple of piezo transducers, an audio amplifier and a variable frequency oscillator are all that's required.’
- ‘The amplitude reduction is held at a constant value by employing a feedback loop, which adjusts the vertical position of the cantilever-holder via piezo movements.’
- ‘Capacitive, piezo resistive, or piezoelectric sensors pick up these motion-triggered vibrations.’
- ‘Through the consistent deployment of piezo technology, the system being presented also succeeds in considerably reducing the typical noise of diesel engines in idling mode.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.