One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘‘Sorry about that,’ he said, gazing at me piercingly.’
- ‘Neil has a piercingly direct focus and a generous smile.’
- ‘The inscription shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a great depth.’
- ‘The air is piercingly clear and cold, the sunshine thin and white, the water of Hudson Bay indigo-blue.’
- ‘As Samuel Johnson piercingly observed, ‘Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.