One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Affect someone keenly or deeply.‘pure love had pierced her heart’‘I felt pierced to the heart, dejected and lonely’
- ‘Today, however, she said something that just pierced my heart.’
- ‘Something pierced my heart, a bitter memory of how my boyfriend left me a few years go.’
- ‘Considering what just happened it pierced my heart and left me feeling weary with fear.’
- ‘But there's no way he could convey to us what he felt and what anguish and anxiety was piercing his heart.’
- ‘Even when reduced to tears, he doesn't pierce your heart.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.