One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large mirror, used originally to fill wall space between windows.
- ‘The rest of the furniture included a commode, two small pairs of open china cabinets, eight fretwork armchairs, four side chairs, and a pier glass.’
- ‘The great expense of glass made the overmantel looking glass a particular object of luxury because it incorporated more glass plates than a traditional pier glass.’
- ‘Single pictures began again to usurp overmantel looking glasses and large pier glasses.’
- ‘Despite these financial impediments, the huge wealth created by England's prosperity continued to generate commissions for lavish pier glasses, girandoles, and glass chandeliers.’
- ‘Frances ‘was seated before her dressing table looking at her white face in the pier glass when she heard one scream of pure pain, quickly muffled by a heavy hand’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.