One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rate of payment for piecework.‘an unskilful typesetter on piece rates’mass noun ‘payment was by piece rate’as modifier ‘a modified piece-rate system’
- ‘For example, assembly-line workers in a piece-rate compensation system may adapt their work strategies over time in response to reinforcement.’
- ‘Weavers thus stand to earn much more in the union sector because they work in export factories, which pay a higher piece rate than subcontractors.’
- ‘Here, powerful subcontractors hired and fired labourers on a piece-rate basis to perform specified tasks.’
- ‘The simplest was the coming of a piece-rate system whereby workers contracted for completion in the short-term of a unit of work, such as cane cutting, loading, irrigating, or any number of other agricultural functions.’
- ‘Those who worked in sweat shops worked harder and harder but then had their piece rate wages lowered.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.