One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In gradual stages.‘I intend to approach this problem piece by piece’
a little at a time, piece by piece, bit by bit, gradually, slowly, in stages, in steps, step by step, little by little, by degrees, by fits and starts, in fits and starts, in bitsView synonyms
- ‘This is a scandal that has been unfolding piece by piece and you can bet it is not anywhere close to being over yet.’
- ‘They have collected up our democratic powers piece by piece, hoarding them in the privacy of their own fiefdoms.’
- ‘Despite these obstacles, unification is gradually proving possible, piece by piece.’
- ‘Over the years, piece by piece, the few activists in the cycling press built a case against many of the sport's top competitors.’
- ‘I had him stand in front of me and slowly we worked it out, piece by piece.’
- ‘This report is another indication that depression is gradually being figured out piece by piece.’
- ‘So piece by piece, we're putting this puzzle together and we're getting closer to solving the problem.’
- ‘The administration's legal framework needs to be examined piece by piece.’
- ‘I look forward to your reply - we can address these all at once, or piece by piece.’
- ‘Little by little, piece by piece, it was all falling perfectly into place.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.