One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A horizontal strip of wood on a wall from which pictures can be hung.
- ‘There is also ornate cornicing in this room, depicting flowers, along with a picture rail and a dado rail.’
- ‘Add a simple detail, such as a picture rail or shelf along one wall, to display framed prints or small collectibles like perfume bottles.’
- ‘The first of these has a large living area to the front with timber wall panelling, a picture rail and an open fireplace.’
- ‘To the right is a living room with an exposed timber floor and lavender-coloured walls with a picture rail.’
- ‘We decided that we'd be immensely bold and go for a lovely deep red colour for the walls and that everything above the picture rail, including the ceiling, would be gold.’
- ‘We also took the opportunity to put back a ceiling rose in the original style and will be re-fitting a picture rail to highlight the proportions of the room.’
- ‘The dining room, which is to the right of the hallway, also has coved cornicing, a picture rail and a fitted gas fire.’
- ‘It features pine floors, an architrave window, a picture rail and a cast iron fireplace.’
- ‘A traditional porch with tiled floor leads to the wide entrance hallway, which has polished timber floorboards, a picture rail and ceiling coving.’
- ‘The two bedrooms on this level are both doubles with ceiling coving, a picture rail and sash window.’
- ‘The lounge has two windows overlooking the front garden, along with original ceiling coving, a picture rail and a large, attractive fireplace.’
- ‘A cast-iron fireplace with a tiled inset forms the focal point and period features include ceiling coving and a picture rail.’
- ‘The room boasts original coving, high ceilings, a picture rail and two sash windows overlooking the front of the property.’
- ‘A tiled porch at the front of the house leads into an L-shaped hallway with wooden floorboards, a coved ceiling and a picture rail.’
- ‘When the frocks were finished they were hung around the picture rail.’
- ‘Double doors lead through to the dining room, which also has ceiling cornicing, a picture rail and a mahogany fireplace, as well as a fitted storage cupboard.’
- ‘This room overlooks the front garden and has a picture rail and double-height ceiling.’
- ‘Behind this is a spacious entrance hall with a picture rail, ceiling coving and understairs storage.’
- ‘A large open fireplace with a marble surround is the focal point of this room, which also features a picture rail and dado rail.’
- ‘It is is decorated in orange and has wainscot panelling, ceiling coving, a picture rail and recessed lighting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.