Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A horizontal strip of wood on a wall from which pictures can be hung.
- ‘The lounge has two windows overlooking the front garden, along with original ceiling coving, a picture rail and a large, attractive fireplace.’
- ‘It features pine floors, an architrave window, a picture rail and a cast iron fireplace.’
- ‘Add a simple detail, such as a picture rail or shelf along one wall, to display framed prints or small collectibles like perfume bottles.’
- ‘Double doors lead through to the dining room, which also has ceiling cornicing, a picture rail and a mahogany fireplace, as well as a fitted storage cupboard.’
- ‘A traditional porch with tiled floor leads to the wide entrance hallway, which has polished timber floorboards, a picture rail and ceiling coving.’
- ‘The dining room, which is to the right of the hallway, also has coved cornicing, a picture rail and a fitted gas fire.’
- ‘A tiled porch at the front of the house leads into an L-shaped hallway with wooden floorboards, a coved ceiling and a picture rail.’
- ‘We decided that we'd be immensely bold and go for a lovely deep red colour for the walls and that everything above the picture rail, including the ceiling, would be gold.’
- ‘There is also ornate cornicing in this room, depicting flowers, along with a picture rail and a dado rail.’
- ‘The two bedrooms on this level are both doubles with ceiling coving, a picture rail and sash window.’
- ‘The first of these has a large living area to the front with timber wall panelling, a picture rail and an open fireplace.’
- ‘A large open fireplace with a marble surround is the focal point of this room, which also features a picture rail and dado rail.’
- ‘When the frocks were finished they were hung around the picture rail.’
- ‘We also took the opportunity to put back a ceiling rose in the original style and will be re-fitting a picture rail to highlight the proportions of the room.’
- ‘Behind this is a spacious entrance hall with a picture rail, ceiling coving and understairs storage.’
- ‘To the right is a living room with an exposed timber floor and lavender-coloured walls with a picture rail.’
- ‘This room overlooks the front garden and has a picture rail and double-height ceiling.’
- ‘The room boasts original coving, high ceilings, a picture rail and two sash windows overlooking the front of the property.’
- ‘It is is decorated in orange and has wainscot panelling, ceiling coving, a picture rail and recessed lighting.’
- ‘A cast-iron fireplace with a tiled inset forms the focal point and period features include ceiling coving and a picture rail.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.