Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
movie theatre, movie houseView synonyms
- ‘Although he has lived in Australia for 30 years, he will never forget his trips to the picture palace.’
- ‘This was a fascinating journey tracing the history of cinema, from humble beginnings in small local halls to the splendid picture palaces that graced almost every High Street in the land.’
- ‘Tonight's unique fireworks display, reflected against the wall of the old building, will be the highlight of a grand goodbye to what was once the town's most splendid picture palace.’
- ‘Eventually, however, the picture palaces began to lose their pulling power and bingo started taking over.’
- ‘Such disregard for the traditions of the picture palace was hard to take.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.