One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place containing an exhibition or collection of paintings or pictures.
- ‘It was originally built as a picture gallery for a large private art collection, with a glass roof.’
- ‘Barry's scheme included a magnificent picture gallery to house the finest of his paintings.’
- ‘Beyond the picture gallery was the Earl's private chamber, its high walls hung with black mourning cloth.’
- ‘He fostered many of the hospital foundlings and donated numerous paintings to the hospital's collection, establishing a permanent picture gallery.’
- ‘By concentrating on high-quality acquisitions for the picture gallery, the engravings collection, and the library, he furthered those arts which were to develop most markedly in the bourgeois age.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.