Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A place containing an exhibition or collection of paintings or pictures.
- ‘By concentrating on high-quality acquisitions for the picture gallery, the engravings collection, and the library, he furthered those arts which were to develop most markedly in the bourgeois age.’
- ‘Beyond the picture gallery was the Earl's private chamber, its high walls hung with black mourning cloth.’
- ‘It was originally built as a picture gallery for a large private art collection, with a glass roof.’
- ‘He fostered many of the hospital foundlings and donated numerous paintings to the hospital's collection, establishing a permanent picture gallery.’
- ‘Barry's scheme included a magnificent picture gallery to house the finest of his paintings.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.