One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A place containing an exhibition or collection of paintings or pictures.
- ‘By concentrating on high-quality acquisitions for the picture gallery, the engravings collection, and the library, he furthered those arts which were to develop most markedly in the bourgeois age.’
- ‘It was originally built as a picture gallery for a large private art collection, with a glass roof.’
- ‘Barry's scheme included a magnificent picture gallery to house the finest of his paintings.’
- ‘Beyond the picture gallery was the Earl's private chamber, its high walls hung with black mourning cloth.’
- ‘He fostered many of the hospital foundlings and donated numerous paintings to the hospital's collection, establishing a permanent picture gallery.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.