Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A place containing an exhibition or collection of paintings or pictures.
- ‘He fostered many of the hospital foundlings and donated numerous paintings to the hospital's collection, establishing a permanent picture gallery.’
- ‘It was originally built as a picture gallery for a large private art collection, with a glass roof.’
- ‘By concentrating on high-quality acquisitions for the picture gallery, the engravings collection, and the library, he furthered those arts which were to develop most markedly in the bourgeois age.’
- ‘Barry's scheme included a magnificent picture gallery to house the finest of his paintings.’
- ‘Beyond the picture gallery was the Earl's private chamber, its high walls hung with black mourning cloth.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.