Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A salt or ester of picric acid.
- ‘Creatinine was measured in all urine samples by a colorimetric assay, using an alkaline picrate method.’
- ‘Urinary creatinine was determined by the alkaline picrate method.’
- ‘For example, the 20 Roche peer groups represent 8 instruments, and 5 of these used versions of both enzymatic and kinetic alkaline picrate reagents.’
- ‘Explosives based on ammonium picrate and picric acid were also used by the military.’
- ‘The survey allowed participants to categorize the alkaline picrate reaction into methods with or without use of Lloyd pretreatment, kinetic methods, and rate-blanked kinetic methods.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.