Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A salt or ester of picric acid.
- ‘Urinary creatinine was determined by the alkaline picrate method.’
- ‘Explosives based on ammonium picrate and picric acid were also used by the military.’
- ‘Creatinine was measured in all urine samples by a colorimetric assay, using an alkaline picrate method.’
- ‘For example, the 20 Roche peer groups represent 8 instruments, and 5 of these used versions of both enzymatic and kinetic alkaline picrate reagents.’
- ‘The survey allowed participants to categorize the alkaline picrate reaction into methods with or without use of Lloyd pretreatment, kinetic methods, and rate-blanked kinetic methods.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.