Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
One trillionth of a second.‘the first picosecond of the Big Bang’
- ‘Well, since the "clustering" of water only lasts for a few picoseconds, making an eye-blink seem like a lifetime in comparison, the matter is moot, anyway.’
- ‘They plan to use a UV laser to fire a 5-joule pulse lasting less than half a picosecond.’
- ‘In contrast, most current MD simulations for larger realistic systems are usually restricted to a few nanoseconds or picoseconds.’
- ‘Ten picoseconds of constant pressure and temperature (N, P, T) allowed the system to reach the proper density.’
- ‘The lifetime of this fluorescent state is usually found to be approximately one-half picosecond.’
- ‘On the shortest time scale of a few picoseconds, the lipids show bond and angle fluctuations of dihedral angles within the same molecule.’
- ‘Their values imply that a free proton will jump between adjacent loci once within a few picoseconds.’
- ‘It knows the time within 100 picoseconds or so.’
- ‘The system center of mass motion was removed at every picosecond to avoid the "cold solute / hot solvent" problem.’
- ‘These fluctuations range in timescale from picoseconds to seconds.’
- ‘There are 1 trillion picoseconds in every second.’
- ‘For example, FPMD simulations are currently limited to a few hundred atoms for a few picoseconds.’
- ‘While vibrations of chemical bonds take less than a picosecond, reorientations of protein segments may be observed within nanoseconds, and a transient complete unfolding of the protein may eventually occur within years.’
- ‘You're frozen in that second, that nanosecond—even a picosecond, maybe.’
- ‘If a water molecule enters or exits the defined region within a picosecond, only the portion of its displacement within the region contributes to the sum.’
- ‘A typical chemical reaction takes place on a timescale of about a picosecond.’
- ‘Trajectory snapshots were saved every picosecond.’
- ‘We also define a coordinate, X, by cumulating the sum of one-dimensional displacements of all water molecules in the mentioned region every picosecond.’
- ‘To elucidate the role of conformational entropy upon thermal unfolding in more detail, conformational dynamics in the time regime of picoseconds was investigated with neutron spectroscopy.’
- ‘Our initial attempts at simulating with explicit water were unsuccessful because the computational limits of the large model confined trajectory lengths to only several picoseconds.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.