One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of very small RNA viruses which includes enteroviruses, rhinoviruses, and the virus of foot-and-mouth disease.
- ‘Viruses were detected in 31 of 177 patients: picornaviruses in 10 and coronavirus in 21.’
- ‘Hepatitis A infection, caused by an RNA virus in the picornavirus family, is the most common cause of hepatitis in the United States.’
- ‘The picornavirus family includes rhinoviruses and enteroviruses, which cause approximately one half of common colds each year.’
- ‘There are already medicines against some picornaviruses, like those which cause polio and foot-and-mouth disease, but so far nothing has worked against a particular kind called the rhinovirus - cause of most runny-nose-type colds.’
- ‘You are confusing it with foot-and-mouth disease which is caused by an animal picornavirus.’
1960s: from pico- + RNA + virus.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.