Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A traditional South African dish of fish prepared with onions in a vinegar sauce and flavoured with curry powder, turmeric, and other spices.
- ‘Our hotel is paid for by the art museum and it comes with a breakfast buffet, which features a pickled fish that is quickly becoming a staple of my diet.’
- ‘A simple example of such behavior was the exchange of pickled fish (herring, shad, mackerel) for the salt cod preferred by slaves in most colonies.’
- ‘He stopped and picked out two pickled fish rolls.’
- ‘One such flavoring agent used in ancient Greece and Rome was a pickled fish sauce called garum.’
- ‘Large amounts of histamine and tyramine found in canned and pickled fish may cause severe headaches.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.