One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A traditional South African dish of fish prepared with onions in a vinegar sauce and flavoured with curry powder, turmeric, and other spices.
- ‘One such flavoring agent used in ancient Greece and Rome was a pickled fish sauce called garum.’
- ‘A simple example of such behavior was the exchange of pickled fish (herring, shad, mackerel) for the salt cod preferred by slaves in most colonies.’
- ‘He stopped and picked out two pickled fish rolls.’
- ‘Large amounts of histamine and tyramine found in canned and pickled fish may cause severe headaches.’
- ‘Our hotel is paid for by the art museum and it comes with a breakfast buffet, which features a pickled fish that is quickly becoming a staple of my diet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.