One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Either of two broadleaved freshwater plants which were formerly believed to give rise to, or provide food for, young pike.
(British)dialect term for pondweed
a North American plant with spikes of blue flowers (Pontederia cordata, family Pontederiaceae).
- ‘The ubiquitous saw grass rattles in the wind, while pond-apple trees, yellow pond lilies, and pickerelweed, with its iridescent purple flowers, line the riverbanks.’
- ‘Pickerelweed can be cut and the rhizomes can be dug up but physical control is difficult because it can re-establish from seeds and remaining rhizomes.’
- ‘An aggressive spreader, Pickerelweed will do well in a water garden where it is easily controlled by dividing or planting in containers.’
- ‘Among them are arrow arum, bull-tongue arrowhead, pickerelweed, water lettuce, white water lily, yellow water lily, and the invasive alligator weed.’
- ‘Pickerelweed is a perennial plant that can grow up to 3 1/2 feet tall.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.