One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Criticize someone or something severely.‘I knew that some people would pick the album apart’
- ‘It's human nature to pick people apart and you're under all this scrutiny.’
- ‘Let's embrace her instead of picking her apart.’
- ‘The story is so distressing that it is not at first clear whether it is moral or useful to pick it apart.’
- ‘I love the people who write reviews and pick it apart and haven't even seen the film.’
- ‘Ok, so I don't really feel like picking this story apart right now.’
- ‘I quite enjoy picking advertisements to pieces and I suspect a lot of other people do too.’
- ‘I could spend more time picking his column apart, but I won't because I think you get my general point.’
- ‘We surveyed him, and he picked the questions to pieces.’
- ‘Once you start picking things apart, you'll never solve the problem.’
- ‘Silenced by infirmity, if not by simple good taste, the former leader has had to stand aside while her legacy is picked apart.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.