One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Raise one's feet clear of the ground when walking.
- ‘He picked his feet up neatly and high, stepping smartly as if he was on parade or being displayed before a panel of judges.’
- ‘She picked her feet up as she walked. Just as she had been raised.’
- ‘Walking is easier if you keep your feet facing forwards and pick your feet up with every step you take.’
- ‘With little else to do she picked her feet up, one after the other, and trudged towards the sound that grew gratifyingly louder as she came closer to its source.’
- ‘A friend saw it happen and said the horse just never picked his feet up, even though he looked ready to jump it right in stride.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.