One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of food) spicy.
piquant, tangy, peppery, hotView synonyms
- ‘Important commercial sauces based on chilli include salsa picante, ubiquitous in Mexico.’
- ‘I put butter buds or picante sauce on it to cut out fats.’
- ‘The picante sauce has kick and mixes well with the enchilada.’
- ‘Try flavors beyond the traditional relishes, ketchup and mustards, like curry or picante sauce.’
- ‘Chorizo picante - the warmly spiced Spanish sausage best cooked slowly in tomato-based stews - is what you want here.’
Spanish, literally ‘pricking, biting’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.