One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A roll of perforated paper which controls the movement of the keys in a pianola or similar instrument, so producing a particular melody.
- ‘But Gershwin's piano rolls had an advantage over sheet music for solo pianos because, by the early 1920s, he could use overdubs.’
- ‘Milagros takes its name from the Spanish word used to describe both miracles and votive offerings, and the work is danced to Stravinsky's Rite of Spring recorded on a piano roll.’
- ‘It's by Franz Schubert, whom he regarded as the last truly great composer, and it's played on a piano roll by his good friend.’
- ‘Intense lobbying led to a new royalty for making player piano rolls, which was then extended to any physical manifestation of a song.’
- ‘When the students played along with the artist's melody while following the piano roll score, they were able to replicate timing and dynamics.’
- ‘Many contemporary virtuosos created piano rolls, including Paderewski, Rakhmaninov, Rubinstein, Gershwin, Debussy, Mahler, Richard Strauss, and Fats Waller.’
- ‘Students were asked to replicate select phrases of the performances while following the piano roll graph, either melody or accompaniment alone or both together.’
- ‘Students heard artist performances in entirety and phrase by phrase while viewing the piano roll.’
- ‘Then I think he must have bought out the store's supply of piano rolls because they sat four high all across the top of the instrument.’
- ‘This recording was made from a contemporary player piano roll.’
- ‘Many artists also made piano rolls, but those are beyond the scope of this article.’
- ‘Joplin himself performed some of these rags for piano roll sales.’
- ‘To help clarify the artists' choices, she listened to their performances again while following the piano roll.’
- ‘I find it interesting to compare contemporary pianists’ playing to the composer's, since we do have recordings of the source - piano rolls, radio recordings, private acetates.’
- ‘But we can trace the current system of fears and balances back to 1908, when music publishers claimed player piano rolls violated music copyrights.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.