One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The first floor of a large Palladian or Georgian house, containing the principal rooms.
floor, level, tierView synonyms
- ‘The arrangement follows a traditional town house, with garage and service spaces at ground level, a piano nobile first floor for living, dining and cooking, and two floors of bedrooms above.’
- ‘Based on the mews principal, with vehicles in garages at ground level topped by a piano nobile floor of offices, planning is simple and logical.’
- ‘Living quarters are on the piano nobile under the deep coved ceiling and skylight and are flooded with luminance from the frameless glazed openings on either side.’
- ‘This circuit begins in the plaza, with a processional staircase that sweeps up to the piano nobile entrance level.’
- ‘Historically, lower levels were given over to storage and animals, with an upper piano nobile floor used for entertaining.’
Italian, literally ‘noble floor’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.