One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The first floor of a large Palladian or Georgian house, containing the principal rooms.
floor, level, tierView synonyms
- ‘This circuit begins in the plaza, with a processional staircase that sweeps up to the piano nobile entrance level.’
- ‘The arrangement follows a traditional town house, with garage and service spaces at ground level, a piano nobile first floor for living, dining and cooking, and two floors of bedrooms above.’
- ‘Historically, lower levels were given over to storage and animals, with an upper piano nobile floor used for entertaining.’
- ‘Living quarters are on the piano nobile under the deep coved ceiling and skylight and are flooded with luminance from the frameless glazed openings on either side.’
- ‘Based on the mews principal, with vehicles in garages at ground level topped by a piano nobile floor of offices, planning is simple and logical.’
Italian, literally ‘noble floor’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.