Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Plankton consisting of microscopic plants.
- ‘Virtually all life in the world's oceans is directly or indirectly dependent on one-celled plants called phytoplankton.’
- ‘This in turn affects the production of microscopic plants called phytoplankton, which is the main food for the pilchard.’
- ‘This mixing leads to better growing conditions for tiny, free-floating ocean plants called phytoplankton.’
- ‘This contrast may be due in part to differences in generation time between phytoplankton and zooplankton.’
- ‘In marine sediments marine phytoplankton (floating plants) are widely used in biostratigraphy.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.