One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(especially of an insect or other invertebrate) feeding on plants.
- ‘It is of interest that a plant native to Eurasia would host such substantial numbers of phytophagous arthropods in North America.’
- ‘As important as behavioral and physiological alterations are as a means of circumventing toxins, direct metabolic detoxication is arguably the strategy which is the most effective and most commonly employed by phytophagous insects.’
- ‘Trade-offs exist when two physiological demands are limited by the same resource (e.g., protein in phytophagous insects).’
- ‘Historically, feeding-induced plant resistance is a well-documented phenomenon for leaf-chewing insects and phytophagous mites.’
- ‘This possibility [that catnip may be a defensive substance, protecting the plant against phytophagous insects] was investigated by a series of simple experiments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.