One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant protein, especially that extracted from the French bean, that causes red blood cells to clump together.
- ‘Finally, a lectin found in raw kidney bean, phytohaemagglutinin, was found to reduce the rate of an NHL tumor in mice.’
- ‘Cell-mediated immunity was assessed 7 weeks after implantation via intradermal injection of the T-cell mitogen phytohemagglutinin into the wing web and measuring the degree of swelling 24 h later.’
- ‘Lymphocytes were stimulated by phytohemagglutinin and were incubated in humidified incubators at 37°C for a total of 72 h.’
- ‘Males were then subjected to a cutaneous hypersensitivity test by injecting their wing web with a lectin, phytohemagglutinin, which has a mitogenic effect on T-lymphocytes.’
- ‘House sparrows were injected 0.05 ml of 0.2 mg phytohemagglutinin (PHA-P) in one wing web and 0.05 ml physiological water in the other wing web.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.