Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The branch of botany that deals with the geographical distribution of plants.Also called plant geography
- ‘It covers aspects related to plant community structure, community function and phytogeography.’
- ‘Based on phytogeography, the Hengchun Peninsula can be separated from the rest of Taiwan by drawing a line through Fengliao, Pingtung County (22°21'39 N, 120°35'16 E) and Tawu, Taitung County (22°21'41 N, 120°54'02 E).’
- ‘All environmentalists, whose work impinges upon phytogeography and ecology, should be familiar with such sources.’
- ‘According to Linnaeus, Theophrastus is the father of Botany; he is also considered as the founder of several disciplines of plant biology, such as morphology, physiology, taxonomy, phytogeography, seed biology, and plant ecology.’
- ‘We have used their guidelines dealing with morphology and phytogeography.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.