One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance found in certain plants which can produce effects like that of the hormone oestrogen when ingested into the body.
- ‘It is thought that the weaker phytoestrogens can compete for estrogen receptors with the more potent endogenous estrogens thereby decreasing the overall estrogenic activity when it is deemed to be too high.’
- ‘One type of phytoestrogen is isoflavone, found in a variety of legumes.’
- ‘This danger can be avoided by getting your phytoestrogens naturally from a variety of whole foods, rather than from supplements or concentrated tablets.’
- ‘Although men don't produce estrogen, the addition of soy and phytoestrogen to their diets can help improve their cardiovascular health, and soy appears to help prevent prostate cancer by inhibiting the growth of cancer cells.’
- ‘There is increasing evidence that dietary phytoestrogens have a beneficial role in chronic renal disease.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.