Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of various biologically active compounds found in plants.
- ‘Researchers working in the tissue culture laboratory were to evaluate a variety of plant hormones and phytochemicals to determine rapid growth conditions.’
- ‘Well-planned vegetarian diets are also a great of nutrients such as fiber, carbohydrate, vitamin A and phytochemicals, and contain healthy fats.’
- ‘Fruit and vegetables are rich in vitamins, minerals, fibre and plant substances known as phytochemicals, many of which may have cancer-protective effects.’
- ‘It is also high in vitamins, minerals, protein, phytochemicals and chlorophyll, and it may work as a cancer preventative and brain booster.’
- ‘They're also full of fiber and phytochemicals, plant compounds that may protect against some cancers and cardiovascular disease.’
Relating to phytochemistry or phytochemicals.
- ‘It is commonly utilized either as a nutritional supplement or as a phytochemical remedy for different diseases ranging from chronic inflammation to circulatory dysfunctions.’
- ‘Further phytochemical investigations are deemed necessary in order to evaluate modes of actions of isolated active constituents of this plant.’
- ‘The classical method is laboratory based and relies on previous taxonomic findings, phytochemical factors, immunopharmacological studies, and random screening methods.’
- ‘‘Unlike phytochemical profiles and morphological features, DNA sequence normally remains unaltered during the development of the plant and under various environmental conditions,’ he says.’
- ‘After finding out how the locals made use of medicinal plants - ethnobotanic research - the center took the plants to the laboratory to identify the chemicals found in them, in what is called phytochemical research.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.