One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The doctrine that the real world consists simply of the physical world.
- ‘Amongst mainstream philosophers, discontent with physicalism led to a modest revival of property dualism in the last decade of the twentieth century.’
- ‘Another response by Heidegger to the metaphysics of physicalism is his emphasis on the centrality of mood to our everyday understanding of the world.’
- ‘That does not require that in embracing naturalism one also embrace determinism, physicalism, and reductionism.’
- ‘The most common opposing view has been materialism or physicalism, a philosophical position maintaining that everything, including mind, is essentially physical.’
- ‘Nor are metaphysicians solely concerned with the nature of the physical world - unless they happen to espouse the doctrine of physicalism, which maintains that the only things that exist are physical entities in space and time.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.