One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The doctrine that the real world consists simply of the physical world.
- ‘Nor are metaphysicians solely concerned with the nature of the physical world - unless they happen to espouse the doctrine of physicalism, which maintains that the only things that exist are physical entities in space and time.’
- ‘Another response by Heidegger to the metaphysics of physicalism is his emphasis on the centrality of mood to our everyday understanding of the world.’
- ‘That does not require that in embracing naturalism one also embrace determinism, physicalism, and reductionism.’
- ‘The most common opposing view has been materialism or physicalism, a philosophical position maintaining that everything, including mind, is essentially physical.’
- ‘Amongst mainstream philosophers, discontent with physicalism led to a modest revival of property dualism in the last decade of the twentieth century.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.