One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The development of the body by exercise.
- ‘If rigid, you are more easily thrown, particularly if you are a victim of pernicious systems of physical culture which cause abnormal development, bordering on the condition known as ‘muscle-bound.’’
- ‘Romantic interest in classical statuary seems to have stimulated this growing interest in physical culture and in an association of a sound body with morality.’
- ‘The club's main aims are to improve the health and wellbeing of underprivileged children through physical culture, gymnastics, boxing, swimming and athletics.’
- ‘Les never lost his interest in physical culture, which he would inform you, is not now an apt description of the current scene of bodybuilding.’
- ‘An obituary from 1939 describes Owen Moran as ‘a fine type of Lancashire mill lad with a great devotion to physical culture.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.