Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A principal taxonomic category that ranks above class and below kingdom, equivalent to the division in botany.
kind, sort, type, order, class, classification, category, variety, genre, brand, styleView synonyms
- ‘He developed the system whereby every known living creature is assigned to a kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species.’
- ‘Of particular interest in this regard are animals in the early diverging non-bilaterian phyla Porifera, Placozoa, Cnidaria, and Ctenophora.’
- ‘Arthropods, chordates and annelids are the three segmented phyla in the animal kingdom.’
- ‘In the animal kingdom there are many phyla, and the mammals come into a phylum called the chordates.’
- ‘The superphylum Deuterostomia contains the diverse phyla Chordata and Echinodermata and the minor phyla Hemichordata and Urochordata.’
A group of languages related to each other less closely than those forming a family, especially one in which the relationships are unclear.
taxonomic group, group, order, class, subclass, genus, speciesView synonyms
- ‘Na-Dene is one of the most widely distributed language phyla in North America.’
- ‘Within a phylum, however, it may also be necessary to recognize some languages that have no close relatives and do not fall into families.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin from Greek, phulon race.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.