One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The arrangement of leaves on an axis or stem.
- ‘Poaceae species present a conserved distichous phyllotaxy (leaf position along the stem) and share common properties with respect to leaf initiation.’
- ‘From this and related work it has become necessary to define a meristem by its phyllotaxy and other growth patterns and not the identity of organs it produces.’
- ‘There was a negative correlation between phyllotaxy and leaf primordium diameter: species with greater numbers of orthostichies or parastichies had smaller leaf primordia.’
- ‘The courses of these bundles were presented both in transverse sections chosen at characteristic points (where changes in phyllotaxy and bifurcation of leaf trace bundles occurred) and in longitudinal diagrams.’
- ‘Each current-year shoot of Q. crispula has one terminal bud, one to five terminally lateral buds and several lateral buds in the lower stem in alternate phyllotaxis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.