One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One of the K vitamins, found in cabbage, spinach, and other leafy green vegetables, and essential for the blood-clotting process.Also called "vitamin K1"
- ‘The best-known member of the vitamin K family is phylloquinone, also known as phytonadione because of its relationship with photosynthesis.’
- ‘The IUPAC-IUB Commission on Biochemical Nomenclature abbreviates phylloquinone as ‘K’ while menaquinone is abbreviated as ‘MK-n.’’
- ‘‘Older people tend to have higher blood levels of phylloquinone,’ explains Booth, ‘so we thought they might not respond to dietary increases as much as the younger group.’’
- ‘After earlier research, a purified form of vitamin K, phylloquinone, was isolated from plants in 1939 and used to treat a nutritional deficiency characterized by decreased prothrombin levels.’
- ‘‘People over age 65 consumed more phylloquinone than those in the 20 to 40 age bracket,’ she says.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.