Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A greenish-blue crystalline dye of the porphyrin group.
- ‘By attaching differing substituent groups, some of which are water soluble and some of which are fat soluble, an unsymmetrically substituted phthalocyanine is created which is both water and fat soluble.’
- ‘As discussed previously, the phthalocyanine interacts with either the phospholipids or the apoprotein moiety of LDL, and therefore, the radicals are likely to be mainly produced at the lipid-water interface.’
- ‘Organic compounds such as phthalocyanine produce greens and blues.’
- ‘This spectrum clearly indicates efficient singlet-singlet energy transfer from carotenoid to phthalocyanine.’
- ‘In general, these newer drugs have been based on the structure of chlorin, purpurin, phthalocyanine or naphthalocyanine.’
- 1.1count noun Any of a large class of green or blue pigments and dyes which are chelate complexes of phthalocyanine or one of its derivatives with a metal (in particular, copper)as modifier ‘phthalocyanine blue’
- ‘It was found that a combination of cobalt or iron phthalocyanine and sodium ascorbate has high in vitro and in vivo antitumor activity.’
- ‘Among the aluminum phthalocyanines, the hydrophilic tetrasulfonated derivative is localized in the vascular stroma and induces tumor regression by the indirect mechanism of vascular destruction.’
- ‘Previous investigators have demonstrated that sulfonated aluminum phthalocyanine is primarily distributed outside the nucleus.’
- ‘The suppression of the photodynamic potency of aluminum phthalocyanines was attributed to desorption of the dyes from lipid bilayers induced by fluoride or hydroxyl ions.’
1930s: from phthalic (see phthalic acid) + Greek kuan(e)os ‘dark blue’ + -ine.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.